Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the Business Intelligence and Database Management Team, Solutions Architecture 1, Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance in New York. The Information Systems Officer (SAP Business Intelligence development) will report to the lead of the ERP's Business Intelligence and Database management team.
Umoja is a continuous organizational transformation, enabling high-quality, and cost-effective service delivery for evolving United Nations mandates, anywhere in the world. By updating skills, harmonizing practices and applying global technology, Umoja maximizes productivity of the UN's human, financial and material resources.
Umoja transcends organizational, geographical and functional barriers, fostering a culture of transparency, accountability, empowerment, sharing and unity across the United Nations. For more information on Umoja visit: http://umoja.un.org
Under the direction of the lead of the ERP's Business Intelligence and Database management team, the Officer serves the following scope of functional duties by alignment to the ERP's overall workplan direction:
A. Supports the TECHNICAL development of Umoja's Business Intelligence [BI] and Analytics solutions, including:
1. BI ARCHITECTURE: from data governance, Master Data, ERP data operations and related technology roadmap.
- SAP technology and standard developments for BI: leads the on-going development and implementation of the ERP Business Intelligence and analytics solution, using the appropriate SAP technologies and tools, particularly HANA, BW, Business Objects, SAC, SLT, BODS.
- Data extraction and loading: leads the required data governance and data acquisition strategy to load and replicate data in HANA repository and make it available to the user community.
- Data modelling: based on confirmed business requirements, plans and directs the ongoing development and redesign of BI's data models, data repository and data visualization strategies and governance to allow a global BI implementation with security implication as well as licensing considerations in mind [users, professional users, etc].
- Reporting and Visualization tools: leads the implementation of visualization and reporting tools (SAC including R visualization and custom widgets and BOBJ) to be used for an effective data visualization in coordination with the Systems Engineering team and the Development/Integration team so as to align the developments in BI to the SAP standard [OData, Fiori, Applications, etc].
2. DATA SOURCING, EXTRACTION and LOADING technical operations:
Reviews the data acquisition mechanics and strategy to load and replicate data using available tools (BODS, SLT and BW), including in respect of HANA repository and making it available to the user community. Assists in the analysis of data sourcing, synchronization, storage and related technical activities across the Umoja solution landscape for improved performance
B. ERP DATABASE MANAGEMENT: in coordination with the ERPSD's team for SAP Systems Supports System teams in the analysis and validation of the required BI architecture for the cloud and on-premise systems (HANA, BW, SAC, BOBJ, SLT, etc.)
C. PRODUCTION SUPPORT for BI and Database
- Supports effective performance and monitoring of Umoja's BI and DB management operations.
- Advises the business stakeholders in respect of technical aspects of SAP Data services.
- Coordinates relevant Tier 3 specialized support for BI, including diagnostics and resolution of fixes.
- IT planning for the ongoing development of the ERP SAP solution, specifically in respect of SAP releases, OSS Notes, Support packs, Enhancement packs, and/or upgrades to ensure such enhancements address organizational requirements and follow the project testing and change control procedures before being implemented in the Production environment in alignment to the SAP application architecture standard.
D. OTHER DUTIES:Supports BI and data management teams as needed to improve and accomplish the Goals assigned to the team. Supports new initiatives concerning augmented analytics, such as machine learning, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, etc.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Technological awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology. Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office. Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks. Shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in computer science, information systems, engineering, mathematics, statistics or related field is required. A first-level university degree (Bachelor's degree or equivalent) in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of computer information systems, including experience within the United Nations or other large comparable international organization is required.
Experience with SAP Systems and programming in SAP with ABAP, HANA, SAC, and BOBJ for the development of BI architecture, Data modeling, Data Reporting and Visualization tools is required.
Experience with BI development experience which includes architecture for BI and DW solutions ensuring sustainability and cost effectiveness of the design of database models so as to effectively support BI requirements in the long term is required.
Experience directing cross-teams for the design and development of ETL and BI implementations in an ERP environment with a complex landscape whose governance and security requirements need to conform to the SAP standard is required.
Experience with SAP Analytics for cloud is required.
Experience with R visualization, FIORI and WDA is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
For more information on how to apply, please click the Apply button.